[wilhelmtux-discussion] Gute Nachricht fuer das Neue Jahr [Vista]

Visvanath Ratnaweera ratnaweera at dplanet.ch
Mon Jan 8 23:10:32 CET 2007

Ergänzend zu meinem Kommentar vorhin:

> Zum ursprünglichen Thema "Vista" zurückzukommen:
>
> "Microsoft has now decided that it won't gain anymore market share, so
> the only way to make more money is tp squeeze more out of each customer.
> You can do that in two ways, by raises prices and reducing piracy. It
> did raise the price a lot on Vista, and it is trying to squeeze out
> piracy, but legitimate users like me are the ones who suffer.
>
> Vista forces you to re-activate, or so I am told, if you look at it in
> the right way. Microsoft, in possibly the most shortsighted move in the
> company's history, decided to lock Vista down to the first PC it is
> installed to and not allow you to move it legally."
>
> http://www.theinquirer.org/default.aspx?article=36653
>
> Monopol hin-oder-her, wird der Konsument das schlucken?

wie wäre's mit diese Analyse ?

http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.txt

Executive Summary
-----------------

Windows Vista includes an extensive reworking of core OS elements in
order to provide content protection for so-called "premium content",
typically HD data from Blu-Ray and HD-DVD sources.  Providing this
protection incurs considerable costs in terms of system performance,
system stability, technical support overhead, and hardware and software
cost.  These issues affect not only users of Vista but the entire PC
industry, since the effects of the protection measures extend to cover
all hardware and software that will ever come into contact with Vista,
even if it's not used directly with Vista (for example hardware in a
Macintosh computer or on a Linux server).  This document analyses the
cost involved in Vista's content protection, and the collateral
damage that this incurs throughout the computer industry.

Executive Executive Summary

The Vista Content Protection specification could very well constitute
the longest suicide note in history [Note A].

Grüssli
Visvanath