[wilhelmtux-discussion] Q. about Windows/Excel-specific EBG's Lohngleichheits-Test für Unternehmen (Logib)

Claude Almansi (BW) claude.almansi at bluewin.ch
Wed May 17 00:05:58 CEST 2006

Hi All,

I learned of this "Lohngleichheits-Test für Unternehmen (Logib)"
<http://www.equality-office.ch/d/logib.htm> through the
www.news.admin.ch/abo newsletter.

Now in spite of that page saying: "Kostenloser Download Logib
(Zip-Datei) (Applikation für Windows / Microsoft Excel)", I thought,
what the heck, NeoOffice, which is a for-Mac version of OpenOffice I'm
using on this venerable (1999) but reliable iMac, opens Excel files with
Calc, so on the off chance "für Windows / Microsoft Excel" was just a
bad linguistic habit, I dowloaded the zip file and unzipped it with
Stuffit expander.

So far so good. But when I try to open the "Applikation", i.e. what
looks like a normal spreadsheet called logib_Version_1.0.xls, with
NeoOffice, I get an error message saying that the file is
password-protected.

<http://www.equality-office.ch/d/logib-faq.htm> was not exactly
enlightening - at least not to me. So here are a few questions:

1) Is the error message mentioning password-protection actually about
another problem? Say, something windows/excel-specific in the .xls file?

2) If actually due to something windows/excel-specific: why on earth,
except to piss off non-windows/excel users?

3) Whether due to password-protection or to something
windows/excel-specific, would there be a simple work-around to make the
"Applikation" compatible with other OS's and spreadsheet programs?

4) If there is such a simple work-around, might it not be a good idea to
use it and produce compatible spreadsheets?

5) Whether or not there is such a work-around, should we not gently tell
the EBG ladies that excluding non-Windows/excell users is not
particularly clever or correct?

Best

Claude

Claude Almansi