[wilhelmtux-discussion] French @ guillaume.

Dietrich Feist dietrich.feist at mw.iap.unibe.ch
Fri Jul 9 13:27:16 CEST 2004

Dear Felix,

> But for incoming people, a french and italian (and maybe romanch) page
> would be a must... I think it's not necessare to have something up to
> date, but some link to lugs whith his natural language...

>From the very early days of Wilhelm Tux, such pages existed in all (!)
Swiss national languages. When the new web site with the CMS was
launched, this was a huge part of the work. However, even though we
provided this from the very beginning, it was hardly ever used by anyone
actually speaking these languages. Our numerous attempts to get some
french-speaking people involved in maintaining these pages all failed.
Therefore, our webmaster decided some weeks ago to shut down the
non-german parts. We simply don't have the resources to keep up web
pages and mailing lists for political correctness if nobody wants to use
them. Wilhelm Tux kept the doors wide open for all the language
communities in Switzerland for more than two years. If nobody wants to
cooperate with us, at least we cannot be blamed for that.

If somebody (you?) volunteers to look after the french pages in the
future, we can certainly open them up again. But it is as Claude said
earlier: there has to be a critical mass first.

Kind regards,

Dietrich (President of Wilhelm Tux)