[wilhelmtux-discussion] FYI: Encounter with Georg Greve yesterday

Myriam Rita Schweingruber schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch
Wed Jul 7 16:40:09 CEST 2004

Hi folks,

I write this mail in English to make sure it is understandable for every one.

Yesterday July 6th we had the opportunity to meet Georg Greve, president of
the Free Software Foundation Europe, in Lausanne for an informative meal.

The present were:
Alex Schroeder for Wilhelm Tux,
Felix Hauri as himself (member of GULL - Groupe d'Utilisateurs Linux Léman,
but not official representative),
Georg Greve for FSF Europe,
Myriam Schweingruber for Wilhelm Tux.

Other people could unfortunately not participate and excused themself:
Dietrich Feist for Wilhelm Tux,
Claude Almansi for ADISI,
Mario Fux for Wilhelm Tux.

The goal of the meeting was informative for every one. All the present (and
excused) swiss representatives are interested in defending Free Software and
open standards and keen to collaborate more actively with FSF Europe as
associated organisation and/or individuals in the future. For Georg it was an
opportunity to meet interested people from Switzerland and explain the
organisation of the FSF Europe and the possibilities of association for Swiss
organisations/individuals.

Georg explained the structure and function of the FSF Europe with its
democratic decision procedures in the core team where representatives from
many European countries contribute. He also explained that the ideas behind
the structure of the FSF Europe that allows organisations and people from
Switzerland to colaborate fully even if Switzerland is not member of the
European Union.
The easiest way to begin the active collaboration with the FSF Europe would be
an official demand of an interested organisation to become an associate to the
FSFE. This does not exclude the possibility for other organisations to do the
same in the future. The core team of the FSFE would then give their (most
probably positive) advice for association and will establish a
country-specific mailinglist called switzerland at fsfeurope.org. This opens the
way for other organisations and/or individuals to do the same and contribute
actively within the swiss group and of course also within the FSFE. The
members of this mailinglist would also be addressed automatically if
Swiss-specific questions would arise for the FSFE.
The next step could be to name three (3) representatives to become members of
the FSFE core team itself and, if necessity comes up to establish a Swiss
chapter of the FSFE

We also raised the latent problem of communication between the German and the
French (Italian or Romansh) speaking Swiss which seemed to be one of the
reason why Wilhelm Tux did not  reached a wholly Swiss status. The above
associational (spelling?) procedure gives enough opportunities for other
organisations to do the same in the future, as well as for interested
individuals.

Felix came up with the idea to summon all known Swiss organisations in this
field, i.e. LUGs and other,  to send representatives for a Swiss meeting in
September or October to discuss the subject. This would give every one the
possibility to voice their opinions. Alex and I suggested to take care to
organise such a gathering. Further notice will be given as soon as possible.

Well, I hope I did not commit any incoherences in relating this meeting so
please don hesitate to correct when necessary.

I would like to thank Georg Greve to have offered one of his precious holiday
afternoons to meet us and of course my thanks go to Alex Schroeder and Felix
Hauri too to have attended the meeting.

Kind regards

Myriam Schweingruber, Wilhelm Tux secretary

Felix could you please forward a copy of this mail to GULL, I'm still not sure
to be on the right mailinglist :-)

- ---
pub  1024D/86FCA592 2004-05-03
     Myriam Rita Schweingruber (Work key)
<schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch>
     key-fingerprint = 5307 4896 120B 1B11 6470  A84F 92FB FD57 86FC A592
sub  2048g/91A1D903 2004-05-03