[wilhelmtux-discussion] Re: Comknight Netzwerk, pdf "illiteratismo" - OFCOM should set an example in the use of ICT tools towards Information society

Alex Schroeder alex.schroeder at wilhelmtux.ch
Thu Nov 13 17:59:02 CET 2003

> From: <Roberto.Rivola at bakom.admin.ch>
> Please let me kindly ask you to discuss such problems bilaterally

Well, usability problems of websites, file formats used, etc. are
often discussed on mailing lists before the people in question are
contacted.  I have myself written too many complaints to webmasters
in Switzerland and abroad notifying them of this or that particular
problem.  Usually the interest is not very big as long as 90% of the
users can read it.  And in a way I can understand this position when
we're talking about restaurants, online CD shops, and online book
shops.  It a free market, and even though I think the position is a
mistake in the long run, I understand it when some of these people
don't want to jump and run and fix things.  I keep hoping that they
will take my mail into account when they rework their website.

As for the Swiss administration using our tax money, and as for the
particular administration in charge of organizing the World Summit on
the Information Society, however, there is a certain urgency involved,
I believe.

In this particular instance, we've talked a lot about the usability of
the various websites, newsletters, and documents distributed
concerning WSIS.  Claude Almansi has been a very keen observer of the
digital divide between the ubiquitous use of information technology in
the free software world (which is where I come from), where we believe
ourselves to be at the forefront of the information society, and the
organizers of WSIS itself.  I felt her mail was entirely on-topic.

Alex Schröder
--
http://www.wilhelmtux.ch
Kampagne für freie Software