[wilhelmtux-discussion] Invitation to the 1st general assembly of Wilhelm Tux

Markus Wernig markus.wernig at wilhelmtux.ch
Mit Mai 28 17:50:14 CEST 2003

Dear friends and members of Wilhelm Tux!

It's close to a year now that Wilhelm Tux has been active in propagating
the use of Free and Open Source Software in the public administration of
Switzerland. Time has come now to look back and to judge and measure our
activities and achievments against the goals we have set out to a year
ago. And it is the time to look forward and set a roadmap and plan for
the next year.

Therefore we would like to invite all members and those among you who
would like to join or contribute to our organization on

Thursday June 26th 2003, 20.00 (8.00 PM)

to the first general assembly of Wilhelm Tux

which will have place at the Restaurant Beaulieu, Erlachstr. 3, 3012
Bern.

Besides the aforementioned topics and the usual statutional ones, a
major point will be the election of the steering committee. Two of its
current members, Markus Wernig (secretary) and Ulrich Zbinden
(treasurer), will step back from their duties, while the other two,
Dietrich Feist (president) and Robert Ribnitz (vice-president) will be
available for reelection.

While we have received the offer of Myriam Schweingruber to take over
the duties of the secretary, we are still looking for a replacement for
the post of the treasurer. The duties associated with this role are,
besides general organizational matters, to oversee all financial matters
and to manage all membership issues. We would be glad to receive
applications for this role - as well as for any other one - at
wilhelmtux-admin at wilhelmtux.ch or to any member of the committee
personally.

As far as known to this date, we propose the following as new steering
committee:

	Dietrich Feist, president
	Robert Ribnitz, vice-president
	Myriam Schweingruber, secretary
	[treasurer to be assigned]

Besides various members have been assigned special duties by the
committee during the year and have been granted the status of assessors
("Beisitzer" in the statutes). They need to be confirmed by the general
assembly following their assignment. In particular those are:

	Michael Jäger, media and public relations
	Markus Jordi, eCH engagement
	Alex Schröder and Sascha Brawer, WSIS engagement
	Karsten Müller and Mathias Gygax, Homepage
	Gaudenz Steinlin, eCH and various
	[new] Christian Egli, eCH and other government contacts

This seems to be an impressive list (and it is :-). But it also shows
that most of the workload is spread among rather few people. We
recognize that this is due to the fact that we are a rather young
organisation. But nonetheless this means that we will be lacking the
resources for new challenges and goals that will certainly present
themselves in the near future. We therefore strongly encourage everybody
to take a more active role in the actions and engagements of Wilhelm
Tux! Proposals for new projects are of course as welcome - ideally
combined with the willingness to do at least some of the resulting work.

Step forward! Make yourself heard! Switzerland is ready for our ideas!

The topic list prepared by the committee looks like this:

	1)  Welcome
	2)  Resume of last year's activities
	3)  Treasurer's account
	4)  Auditors' account
	5)  Establishment of a quorum
	6)  Confirmation of assessors assigned last year
	7)  Discharge of the steering committee
	8)  Change of statutes
	9)  Election of the steering committee
	10) Assignment and confirmation of assessors

Ad 8) There is a proposed amendment to the statutes as follows:
 " 3.4 Wer im Auftrag des
  Vereins innerhalb der Schweiz eine Reise unternimmt, erhält die
  tatsächlich entstandenen Fahrtkosten bis zum Betrag eines
  2.-Klasse-Bahnbillet mit Halbtax erstattet. Weitere Spesen,
  sowie Spesen für eine Reise ins Ausland können nur erstattet
  werden, wenn sie der Vorstand vor Beginn der Reise genehmigt hat."

Besides, we need to have translations of the statutes in at least French
and Italian and to recognize those versions as equivalent with the
original, German, statutes. Thism though, is not likely to take place at
the general assembly.

Then we call upon the former PLLA members to definitely join us on an
organizational level as well!

Changes and extensions to the above list, as well as proposals for
further amendments to the statutes and nominations for the steering
committee must be presented to the current steering committee (at the
abovementioned addresses) at least 7 days before the general assembly,
that is June 19th 2003.

Looking forward to seeing you on the 26th of June

Markus Wernig, secretary