[wilhelmtux-discussion] Including IP/droits d'auteur in the final statement..

Robert Ribnitz ribnitz at linuxbourg.ch
Son Mai 11 15:38:21 CEST 2003

I know that there are international treaties on the intellectual
property / droits d'auteur issue. I'll nevertheless make a few
statements regarding the issue, I feel these statements are important.

- The ideas on he patentability of things and on the requisites for such a
  patent are quite different if you look at Europe on the one hand, and
  at the United States at the other. To my knoweldge there's also an
  ongoing discussion on whether patents on software (algorithms,
  mathematical models) are a good thing. As far as I know, most european
  IT professionals deny this.

- The fundamental issue lies in cultural differences between societies.
  These differences result, among other things from a different
  historical background and evolution.

- Since these differences exist, they need to be addressed by the
  adaptation of of the rules to the social environment. Simply stating
  that the issues have been addressed (and therefore do not need to be
  reconsidered)  will result in a cultural hegemony of those that are
  already (economically) strong over those that are not (the 'developing
  countries'). "Western values" will be forced upon societies where they
  do not fit in at all. This might lead to a collapse of the societies in
  question.

- The laws currently in force are a result of constant evolution,
  and adaptation to the new needs of the social structure in question.
  Do we have the moral right to stop this evolution?

In this light, I think it is a good idea that the following should be
stated in the final declaration:

- The community is aware of the different positions of its members
  regarding the IP issue

- These issues are to broad to be solved by this declaration

- An overview over the fundamental positions there are, without judging
  them.

Should any question arise, do not hesitate to contact me.