[wilhelmtux-discussion] Software Patents..

Dietrich Feist dietrich.feist at mw.iap.unibe.ch
Son Nov 17 15:37:22 CET 2002

Robert Ribnitz wrote:

> - regardless of what the people in Brussels decide, Switzerland will
>   have to follow suit. It will then intruduce legislation similar to
>   the one valid in the EU, or at least compatible to it.

You can bet on that. Even without additional legislation, Switzerland
already accepts trademarks and patents that are valid in several other
EU countries.

> My pesonal opinion is that software patents are a very bad thing,
> because they'll stifle competition for far too long. My personal
> opinion is also that current legislation covers software adequately.

The best we can say about them is that they are useless for anyone who
is not a lawyer.

However, the European Commission may want software patents but not all
the governments of the EU countries. At least Germany is going to oppose
them, and there were others as well.

I am seriously thinking of going to Brussels myself but this was on a
rather short notice. I have a friend who works for one of the fractions
in the EU parliament and I know a couple of the MEP personally. Talking
to them and explaining things can help a lot. It already worked well
with the anti-spam legislation that was passed earlier this year.

Kind regards,

Dietrich