[wilhelmtux-discussion] AW: Antwort: Firmenlogos auf der Website des Parlaments

Stephan.Berger at pd.admin.ch Stephan.Berger at pd.admin.ch
Die Dez 10 09:27:31 CET 2002

hi everybody,

as a great fan and user of linux and other open source software, i watch
your discussions with great interest. but i'd like to warn you at this point
not to make yourself ridiculous. as one of the parliament's system
administrators i can confirm that daniel schweizer is not too wrong.

microso~1 has provided us a free video streaming solution to broadcast
parlamentary sessions to everybody, without m$ we wouldn't have been able to
provide this service, because of lacking human ressources. that's why there
was a contract which forced us to present their logo on our web site. this
contract has ended, and the logo has gone. that's all.

as much as some of us would like to change our intranet and internet servers
to a unix or linux based platform, as many obstacles are in our way. we just
don't have enough human ressources to migrate in a flawless and swift
manner, our servers contain at least 500'000 html pages, several sql
databases, several search engines, etc.

but our intentions haven't stopped, we forsee not to be exposed to internet
information server's crappyness forever. we are making progress towards the
usage of open source software. but you know, structures within parliament
are more complicated that you probably might guess, and i'd like to tell you
that your agitations don't help me much to get to my goals, they are rather
cotraproductive and don't help to ignite the local v.i.p.'s sympathies with
the linux community and your group.

thanks,

Stephan Berger
System administrator

Information systems and new technologies
Parliamentary Services,  CH-3003 Bern