[wilhelmtux-discussion] Code question re Microsoft's Digital Literacy tutorials (part of the IT-Fitness initiative)

Manfred Morgner manfred.morgner at gmx.net
Thu Oct 18 03:53:49 CEST 2007

Hello Claude,

I'm sorry to answer a second time, but out of curiosity I took a
deeper look to the source of the page 'http://www.microsoft.com/
switzerland/digitalliteracy/de/main.html'. Now I can ensure you - for
us (people without IE), this page does not only not what it is
supposed to do, it also looks like shit against the intent of the
authors. This page should contain graphics, style and really cool
designed menus.

But instead, to non-IE-users, this page shows the incompetence of
there creators. Really, there is no bad intent all over the page,
only real incompetence. These Web Designers are graceful IT-NonFit,
because of there believe (without doubt), that IE is the one and only
Web Browser. And maybe, there assumption, that any other Web Browser
does more than IE can do. Some MS developer are not really in believe
of MS products!

This is MS we are speaking about, so I can't give you a look at what
they meant the page should look like, even if I'm able to repair the
design based on the given Code. And even after they used prototype.js
(an Open Source AJAX Framework - MIT License; http://
www.prototypejs.org/). It's too risky to show you the page or the
code after cleaning it, because the content is (surely) Digital
Millennium Copyright Act Protected. But after digging in the dust,
I'm sure: This page is an accident!

Best regards,
Manfred.