[wilhelmtux-discussion] Gute Nachricht fuer das Neue Jahr [Vista]

Visvanath Ratnaweera ratnaweera at dplanet.ch
Thu Dec 20 11:25:29 CET 2007

Hello Theo und alle

Ref: Theo Schmidt <theo.schmidt at wilhelmtux.ch> 19.12.2007 09:52
> Visvanath Ratnaweera schrieb:
> >
> > The 15 Biggest Tech Disappointments of 2007
> > #1. No Wow, No How: Windows Vista

> Danke für die Links, konnte ich gut gebrauchen für einen Kommentar, wo
> diskutiert wird, ob Microsoft nun "böse" ist oder nicht:
>
> http://www.clickomania.ch/fp/comments.php?entry=entry071207-180201#comments

Vielleicht schreibe ich auch was. Ob das viel bringt bezweifle ich. Wenn man
Herrn Schüssler in seinem "Digitalk" mit dir hört, ist es klar wo seine
Sympathien liegen http://digitalk.kaywa.ch/p55.html

> (Mein Fazit: Microsoft ist kein böses Imperium, aber ein Imperium, und
> wird den Weg aller dieser gehen, wie Vista schon ahnen lässt. Ein
> anderes Fazit aus Slashdot: "Ich verwende Linux weil es funktioniert,
> MacOSX weil es so schön ist, und Windows weil ich muss.")

MS ist nicht *böse*, nur wegen eines Kavalierdelikts haben sie gegen
eine halbe Milliarde zahlen müssen :-(

Du meinst die Hardware-Hersteller tun die Dinge wie hier unten
beschrieben freiwillig?

Gruss
Visvanath

Ein Kommentar aus der obigen Slashdot-Meldung:

"last weekend I bought a new laptop when my old one crapped out.
Obviously it had Vista, so I tried to use it for a couple of days.
Between the fact it was abysmally slow, consumed a gig of memory just
sitting there, kept asking me if I wanted to do things (yes, I know
about limited user privileges, but this is Windows, for god's sake,
where everything needs administrator), and I couldn't find a damn thing,
well... the best compliment I could give it was that it was pretty. Add
to that the fact I don't even get a damned OS install disk anymore, and
I was significantly less than thrilled about its long term sustainability.

So, I decided to downgrade (upgrade?) back to XP. HP's own website
basically said "DON'T DO IT, MAN, IT'LL NEVER WORK" and provided exactly
no XP drivers, only Vista. Yeah, like I'm going to believe that. So I
did, and after nearly ten hours of collecting drivers from other sources
(occasionally having to change vendor IDs and the like to get them to
load), I had it running perfectly.

The thing that bugs me most is that HP has the drivers - the hardware in
this new box isn't anything all that revolutionary, or different from
what was found in their old XP offerings. There's no reason they couldn't
have put up the necessary XP drivers - most of them I got from HP's site,
just under other models. The only possible explanation is that MS is
sitting in the background, threatening to flog them mightily if they
dared not do everything possible to push this steaming pile known as
Vista upon us."