[wilhelmtux-discussion] Website des Penguin Run

Claude Almansi claude.almansi at bluewin.ch
Sat Nov 22 22:23:35 CET 2003

Hi

Am Sam, den 22.11.2003 schrieb Hannes Gassert:

<<Shure, I get your point.
But that's not the fault of IBM nor of penguinrun.ch..>>

Fair enough. There IS an accessibility problem as well with Flash-only, but
we shouldn't push integrism to the point of 7th century iconoclasm either:
museum sites aren't ask to provide a full description in words of each
picture in their online catalogue, and the same may apply to fun websites.

<<I just don't get the point of insisting on everybody publishing in Adobe
PDF instead of MS WORD and, in the very next sentence, to bash someone
for using Macromedia SWF for a fun website....>>

Hem, you seem to have missed some rather strong PDF bashing that has been
going on in this list ;-) The bashing was mainly about the cocked-up uses of
PDF some of our public administrations are irretrievably addicted to, and
won't give up even after having been repeatedly advised to read
http://www.webpagesthatsuck.com/pdf.html .

If I correctly understood, the difference between Word and PDF is in the
stability and openness of standards. Word keeps coming out in new versions
that leaves those who use older ones or another text editor stranded. PDFs
are more stable and can also be read by non Adobe readers - although, if I
remember correctly what I read here, some features like bookmarks only work
with Adobe Acrobat. This is relatively unimportant in the Swiss context -
because anyway people who make huge PDFs in our public administrations and
offices don't know how to make bookmarks in a PDF.  Many actually don't know
that there can be such a thing as bookmarks in a PDF...

cheers

Claude