[wilhelmtux-discussion] Website des Penguin Run

Claude Almansi claude.almansi at bluewin.ch
Sat Nov 22 19:29:33 CET 2003

Hi All!

Hannes, another reason - aside from Dietriech's objection to the proprierary
nature of flash - for objecting to a 100% flash page is that it excludes
viewing from schools and libraries. Or at least so in Tessin, where the
sysops of the cantonal network stauchly refuse to install it or to let
schools install it.

I don't thing that this refusal stems from free convictions: the sysops have
been running the cantonal network on Windows NT for years, and have just
recently decided to opt  for another, free solution. Someone told me that
originally, flash had a fame if being used mainly by porn sites, so blocking
it was a way to exercise censorship.

This was way back before we got our  cocked-up filter on the cantonal
server: Webwasher was thrown in with Nettrust intrusion detection in 2002,
so powers that be decided to use it, causing an impressive furor from
cantonal chancelor to school kids because it both crassly overblocks and
underblocks*.

In spite of the installation of the filter, the block on the flash/shockwave
plug-in has remained.

Are there any other Cantons where  the flash plug-in cannot be installed in
schools?

cheers

Claude

*just send www.google.ch or the URL of any search engine to a hotmail
address, open the e-mail online and click on the URL within the e-mail: you
can quietly browse whatever you want because the cantonal filter only
recognizes the URL that appears in the browser's URL window, not the real
one, and links clicked-on in a hotmail e-mail appear in a second window
whose apparent URL starts with an MSN IP. OK OK I know: j'ai de mauvaises
fréquentations...