Re: [wilhelmtux-discussion] Lokale Anliegen für freie Software? - PDF and accessibility: Infosociety newsletter

Claude Almansi claude.almansi at bluewin.ch
Wed Nov 19 20:25:03 CET 2003

Hi Sascha, Robert, Markus, Hans, Alex & all Tuxers

Re PDF, I'll let you trash out the issue of whether the software is free or
not.

As to PDF accessibility: it IS possible to have a PDF that will convert
decently to text r html, for instance by using converter at
http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/access_simple_form.html sure

But the problem is that PDF are easy to make (1), so people play
page-setters, bang the text on 3 columns with pics, and then you have to
play jigsaw puzzle with column bits once they are converted to text or html.
OFCOM is addicted to such chichi 3-column PDFs:  have a go at converting to
text or html the Infosociety Newsletter n° 34 on www.infosociety.ch. I wrote
to the editors on Nov 2, 2003 about this problem and have yet to receive an
answer, in spite of the promiss of one last Thursday, Nov 13, sent to WT in
Cc too. (Said editors are getting this e-mail - in Bcc because they are a
bit shy).

So - let's have PDFs on public admin sites, OK - print-addicts must also be
catered for (see http://www.adisi.ch/corso_e-mail/introduzione.htm )

But let's have public administrators in charge of official publications
re-do all their extant inaccessible PDFs in convertible form during unpaid
overtime if they keep using their several-column settings after 1.1.04, when
the law on accessibility comes into force (see Hans Raymondaz' e-mail).

That, or being tarred and paper-PDFed  in front of the Palais Fédéral: after
all, persevering in their ways would indicate that they consider the
Information Society as the Far West...

;-)

Claude

Claude Almansi
claude.almansi at bluewin.ch
www.adisi.ch

(1) When my father wrote a book about media deontology in the 80's, he had
just gotten word 4.0 and so he made alternate headers dor odd  and even
pages and what not. This got him a rather curt request from the printer to
"send the thing as plain  text and stop playing page-setter". That's how he
discovered open standards. He is now 80, and has just asked the Amnesty
International Switzerland  people (for whom he does translation and editing)
to take his address off their multiple-mail list as he can't open their .doc
newsletters with Appleworks: "If you have something important to tell me,
please copy it inside the e-mail", he concluded. Like Molière's Monsieur
Jourdain, "il fait du libre sans le savoir".