[wilhelmtux-discussion] Digital Rights (was: zürichlocal group meeting)

Sascha Brawer brawer at acm.org
Die Feb 18 09:52:57 CET 2003

Alex Schroeder <alex at emacswiki.org> wrote on Sat, 15 Feb 2003 02:00:09 +0100:

>* From TCPA we moved on to Digital Rights Management (DRM) and we
>  talked about how software and hardware (TCPA) [...]
>  If you know anything in this regard, or have some accessible
>  literature on this, please let me know.  :)

Volker Grassmück: Freie Software zwischen Privat- und Gemeineigentum.
Bundeszentrale für politische Bildung: Bonn, 2002. ISBN 3-89331-432-9.
http://freie-software.bpb.de

This German book discusses digital rights, intellectual property, etc.
Unfortunately (in my personal opinion), it also talks about too many
other things which can be found elsewhere. But I found the first part
("die rechtliche Ordnung des Wissens", up to page 176) quite interesting.
Especially because it describes the legal traditions of continental
Europe with regards to intellectual property.

The text is available online, and the printed book can be ordered at the
above site for free (2 Euros postage and handling fee).

Actually, I think it might be nice to meet somewhere to chat about
prospective implications of DRM, TCPA, patents, etc. Is anyone else
interested? If so, I could organize the meeting, but I'd very much like
to suggest that we read a few texts in advance. (I could suggest a few
things, but it would be great if others had proposals as well). This
would allow us to have a more informed discussion.

Best regards,

-- Sascha Brawer