[wilhelmtux-discussion] [Fwd: [wilhelmtux-admin] einfache anfrage]

Patrik mynewsmail at tiscali.ch
Fre Jun 28 01:20:02 CEST 2002

Hallo,

ich lese diese Liste erst seit kurzem, aber der Name Gartner ist mir
irgendwie hängen geblieben. Auf einer Seite, die auch sonst noch interessant
ist für Linux, habe ich diese Garnter Gruppe gefunden, sie hat eine Studie
für M$ verfasst und die Zahlen die dabei herauskommen sind mehr als fraglich:

die Seite:

http://www.dwheeler.com/oss_fs_why.html

der Auszug daraus:

Microsoft sponsored its own research to ``prove'' that GNU/Linux isn't as
widely used, but this research has been shown to be seriously flawed.

Microsoft sponsored a Gartner Dataquest report claiming only 8.6% of servers
shipped in the U.S. during the third quarter of 2000 were Linux-based.
However, it's worth noting that Microsoft (as the research sponsor) has every
incentive to create low numbers, and these numbers are quite different from
IDC's research in the same subject. IDC's Kusnetzky commented that the likely
explanation is that Gartner used a very narrow definition of "shipped"; he
thought the number was "quite reasonable" if it only surveyed new servers
with Linux , "But our research is that this is not how most users get their
Linux. We found that just 10 to 15 percent of Linux adoption comes from
pre-installed machines... for every paid copy of Linux, there is a free copy
that can be replicated 15 times." Note that it's quite difficult to buy a new
x86 computer without a Microsoft operating system (Microsoft's contracts with
computer makers ensure this), but that doesn't mean that these operating
systems are used. Gartner claimed that it used interviews to counter this
problem, but its final research results (when compared to known facts)
suggest that Gartner did not really counter this effect. For example, Gartner
states that Linux shipments in the supercomputer field were 'zero'. In fact,
Linux is widely used on commodity parallel clusters at many scientific sites,
including a number of high-profile sites. Many of these systems were
assembled in-house, showing that Gartner's method of defining a ``shipment''
does not appear to correlate to working installations. The Register's
article, ``No one's using Linux'' (with its companion article ``90%
Windows..'') discusses this further. In short, Microsoft-sponsored research
reported low numbers, but these numbers are quite suspect.

Ich hoffe das gibt neue Argumentationsmöglichkeiten, wenn die Firma die diese
Studie verfasst hat in einen Zusammenhang mit M$ gestellt werden kann der
ihre Studie fraglich erscheinen lässt.

Gruss Patrik